As a child, education is key to the success to their academic and social growth.
As a parent or guardian, the more knowledgeable you are about the your rights, policies and procedures, along with what assistance is available, the better chance your child has of self-governing issues that will occur due to their special need and the greater the success they will have growing and merging into society.
This is our Resource Center to assist you in navigating the Internet and within our institution for the purpose of aiding you in finding answers for your special education and special needs issues. We’re here to help!
**If you do not see the information you need, please fill out the Resource Research Requests form at the bottom of our Contact Us page, and we will do our best to find the information for you. Be sure to place your information in the description area on the form or use our NHI Community blog and post your concern. Another parent may have encountered the same or similar issue and can help you.
****IMPORTANT: Read before continuing: All information is subject to change without notice. This center is a portal to help you locate information. However, we can not guarantee that their information is 100% accurate. It is important that you double check all information to make sure of its accuracy.
Special Needs Children and Special Education:
Navigating through the educational years and protecting the overall well-being of a special need student can be extremely difficult. These are some of the most popular subjects:
- Start with this section:
- Does my child have Autism?
- Important issues to address when caring for special needs children
- Steps to take to prepare for special education
- IEPs (Individualized Education Program), 504 plan and the IDEA (Individual with Disabilities Education Act). These are important instruments within special education. Before you go further, we strongly recommend that you learn each of these to better help your child:
- Seven things you don’t know about a Special Needs parent
- CNN Special Reports on Special Needs children:
- Some specific areas to pay attention to:
- PLEASE READ BEFORE GIVING YOUR CHILD ANY MEDICINES: We understand that parents can become desperate, however please consult with your child’s doctor before giving your child any medicines!
Helping your child with social skills
- Tantrums: Being a typical teen or special needs issue?
- Locating a school with a special education curriculum:
- Here are a few symptoms to help determine if you have a special needs infant or toddler;
- Stops speaking
- Hearing issues
- Balance issues
- Click for more here detailed information:
- For Veterans and people currently serving in the military with special needs children:
- Places to go for help:
- Autism Speaks
- Los Angeles Speech and Language Center
- Pathways Speech and Language
- Regional Centers (For government assistance)
- UNICEF (For a general world report on the status of disabilities)
Children who are concerned At-Risk:
- What is the definition of an At-Risk Child?
- Raising one child or multiple children as a single parent can be extremely difficult in this fast pace highly demanding global community. As a single parent the government concerns your child to be an At-Risk child. Here are some popular topics single parents come to us in search of:
- Raising a male or female child as a single mother or father
- Special help with educational needs for students concerned to be At-Risk:
Copyright 2015 New Horizons Institute. All Rights Reserved